New Vision Laser Centers is privileged to be one of the few centers around the world, which also does an all-in-one femtosecond laser refractive surgery. This goes by the name of ReLEx. Within ReLEx, there are two procedures, FLEx, and SMILE. Our Clinical Director, Dr. Rupal Shah, was the third doctor in the world to perform FLEx/SMILE, and has done the maximum number of cases in the world. She has presented her results of all in one femtosecond laser refractive surgery at several meetings all over the world. She offers ReLEx laser vision correction surgery at the centers in Vadodara and Mumbai
In the ReLEx procedure, the femtosecond laser is used to carve out a lenticule from within the cornea.
The lenticule is then removed from within the cornea.
This is done by lifting a flap and peeling off the lenticule. This procedure is known as FLEx.
ReLEx can also be performed in a minimally invasive way. In this case, a small incision is made on the surface of the cornea, from where the lenticule is extracted from within the cornea. This means than no flap is created, nor is it lifted. This procedure is known as SMILE.
ReLEx, especially SMILE has several advantages for the patients over standard LASIK or Blade Free LASIK. These advantages include:
- Less Dry Eyes
- Better Corneal Strength
- More stability of the result
- No risk of flap displacement
To see a video of FLEx, please click here.
The following is a list of some of the meetings at which Dr. Rupal Shah has presented information on FLEx.
- Indian Intraocular Implant and Refractive Surgery Society Annual Meeting, Chennai 2010
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, New Orleans, 2008, Chicago, 2010
- African Society of Refractive Surgery, Tunis, 2009
- All India Ophthalmological Society Annual Meeting, Jaipur, 2009, Ahmedabad, 2011
- Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Bali, 2009, Sydney, 2011
- Zeiss APAC User’s Meeting, Hong Kong, 2009, Kaula Lumpur, 2010
- American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Francisco, 2009, Boston 2010, San Diego 2011
- Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, San Francisco, 2009
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Annual Meeting, Barcelona, September 2009
- ESCRS Winter Meeting, Istambul, 2011
- All India Ophthalmological Society Annual Meeting, Kolkata, Jan 2010
- World Congress of Ophthalmology, Berlin, June 2010
- Bombay Ophthalmologists Association, Annual Meeting, Mumbai, Sep 2010
- Delhi Ophthalmic Society, Annual Meeting, April 2010, 2011